6: Flashes of April 2016 Vince Velasquez
Anyone else remember Ken Giles? A hundred miles Giles? For about a month it looked like his trade would be a Phillies success.
More from That Balls Outta Here
- Does Bailey Falter have a future in Phillies’ rotation?
- Prospect Andrew Baker could help Phillies bullpen in 2023
- Bryce Harper’s absence should lead to Phillies lineup tinkering
- Phillies rumors: Club targets Seth Lugo for possible bullpen role
- Pirates’ bizarre Vince Velasquez hype video will make Phillies fans laugh
In April of 2016 Vince Velasquez went 3-1 with a 1.78 ERA. In fact, pre All Star game he was 8-2 with a 3.32 ERA. Looked like it would be a Phillies steal. In the about 18 months since Velasquez has gone 2-11 with a 5.22 ERA and Ken Giles won a World Series. Winning. Velasquez proved he not only had fourth man material, but possible ace potential.
A 15-4 record with a sub 3 ERA season is not expected of Velasquez (but Santa if your feeling really giving we wouldn’t mind one) but just a couple starts or streaky months to show that the possibility is still there.