Jose Pujols, OF, Clearwater
Jose Pujols had a decent start to the year but has cooled off considerably. His average for the season is still .303, but it has dropped from .317 in the last ten games as of July 8. He is 8 for 37 in the last ten games and has struck out ten times in that span.
More from Phillies Prospects
- Prospect Andrew Baker could help Phillies bullpen in 2023
- Phillies manager suggests Andrew Painter could make Opening Day roster
- Phillies No. 1-ranked prospect Andrew Painter receives national accolade
- Phillies top prospect Andrew Painter continues to dominate
- Philadelphia Phillies prospects thriving is a positive sign for the future
Strikeouts have been Pujols’ Achilles heel this season. It is unusual for someone with such a high average to strike out so much, but Pujols has managed to do so. In 74 games as of July 8th, Pujols punched out 100 times. He still has a .365 on-base percentage, but the strikeouts are still concerning. Especially if his average continues to drop.
If Pujols can keep his average up, the strikeouts won’t be as big of a deal.
If his average continues to drop though, he’ll have to make an adjustment.