Phillies slated for exhibition games ahead of Opening Day
By Matt Rappa
The Phillies will play three exhibition games before the season opener
The Philadelphia Phillies’ revised 2020 schedule is out. And while the team is gearing up to host the Miami Marlins for three games to kick off the 60-game sprint starting July 24, they will actually compete against Major League teams much prior to that.
Starting on July 18, manager Joe Girardi‘s team will make the trek down to the nation’s capital to face the reigning World Series champion Washington Nationals for exhibition play at Nationals Park.
The following day, the Phillies will return home to face another team from the area — the Baltimore Orioles, according to The Baltimore Sun. On July 20, the Phillies will travel north to face the New York Yankees.
All three games will start at 6:05 p.m. Then, just four days later, will be Opening Day.
Phillies general manager Matt Klentak told reporters on Tuesday that MLB is “looking at relaxing rules for these games” in order to ease the players back in.
RELATED | Phillies schedule: 5 instant reactions to the release
The Nationals and Orioles appear to have three exhibition games each, one against the Phillies and a home-and-home against each other. For now, it appears the Phillies have just the two games, on the road opposite the Nationals and at home against the Orioles.
The Phillies will not face the Nationals in the regular season until August 25, their 33rd of 66 days across the 60-game schedule.
Regular Season vs. Nationals:
- Day 33: August 25: at Washington Nationals, 6:05 p.m.
- Day 34: August 26: at Washington Nationals, 6:05 p.m.
- Day 35: August 27: at Washington Nationals, 7:15 p.m. (FOX)
- Day 39: August 31: vs. Washington Nationals, 7:05 p.m.
- Day 40: September 1: vs. Washington Nationals, 7:05 p.m.
- Day 41: September 2: vs. Washington Nationals, 7:05 p.m.
- Day 42: September 3: vs. Washington Nationals, 4:05 p.m.
- Day 60: September 21: at Washington Nationals, 6:05 p.m.
- Day 61: September 22: at Washington Nationals, 6:05 p.m.
- Day 62: September 23: at Washington Nationals, 6:05 p.m.
Regular Season vs. Orioles:
- Day 19: August 11: vs. Baltimore Orioles, 7:05 p.m.
- Day 20: August 12: vs. Baltimore Orioles, 7:05 p.m.
- Day 21: August 13: vs. Baltimore Orioles, 4:05 p.m.
As for the Orioles, it appears the Phillies will not play the Orioles this season at Camden Yards neither in exhibition play nor the regular season. After July 19, they will host the Orioles again for a three-game series, August 11-13.
Right-handed ace Aaron Nola said on Monday that he expects he will be ready to compete; Girardi was impressed with his bullpen session, but said it is “too early to tell” if he will be ready come July 24.
With the first exhibition game set for July 18, it is possible the Phillies start Nola in either of the two games to see if he is ready to go like he says he is.