Kevin Markham, OF, Clearwater
Markham was promoted from Lakewood to Clearwater on July 10 after hitting .282 with 11 extra-base hits as a member of the BlueClaws.
More from That Balls Outta Here
- Philadelphia Phillies: Most impactful transactions in 2022
- How will Rob Thomson manage the Philadelphia Phillies bullpen in 2023?
- How Phillies’ Ranger Suárez is set to build on 2022 postseason dominance
- What can Philadelphia Phillies expect from Bryson Stott in 2023?
- 3 Reasons to get excited for Phillies’ Craig Kimbrel signing
That success carried over in his first 10 games with the Threshers, going .327 in his first ten games in Clearwater. Unfortunately, he has cooled off ever since the early weeks of his promotion.
His average has dropped from .328 on July 31 to .275, hitting just .182 in the month of August with one extra-base hit. He’s struck out just five times this month while working just a single walk.
His season average between Lakewood and Clearwater is still an impressive .280, but it’s hard to tell whether he is just going through an extended slump right now or if he is struggling to adjust to the higher level of competition.
Teams clearly got a book on him after that first week against heightened competition, so now it’s time for Markham to make the necessary adjustments.
We’ll have to keep an eye on him, but it won’t be the end of the world if Markham, a 24th round pick last year, doesn’t pan out.