The Team: Chicago Cubs
Sadly, my friends, it is not going to get any easier the next four days. The Phillies are able to leave the nightmare in LA behind but are heading to the (not always) friendly confines of Wrigley Field. The defending World Champion Chicago Cubs (winners of six of their last ten) are awaiting the Phils and their three-game losing streak.
More from Phillies News
- Bryce Harper’s absence should lead to Phillies lineup tinkering
- Pirates’ bizarre Vince Velasquez hype video will make Phillies fans laugh
- Acquiring Brandon Marsh gave the Phillies flexibility
- Former Phillies starter Zach Eflin shares heartwarming goodbye message
- Is Rhys Hoskins the future at first base for the Phillies beyond 2023?
The Cubbies currently sit atop the NL Central by one game over the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers. Meanwhile, the Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds are only two games behind.
The Cubs are currently fifth in baseball in runs scored and top ten in team batting average and OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage). Their lineup, for lack of a better term, is loaded.
Names like Kris Bryant, Addison Russell, Anthony Rizzo, Kyle Schwarber, and Ben Zobrist highlight a star-studded group. And this year, to make it scarier, Jason Heyward is off to a strong start.
Their pitchers are top ten in ERA throughout baseball (3.77), but jump down to 18th in the game in their own stadium (3.89). That number could be a bit skewed since they have only played nine home games. It is a dream matchup as the Phils offense has not been a juggernaut on the road.