While Bruce would provide legitimate value to the Phillies in 2017, he wouldn’t hurt their future plans at all.
Bruce was shunned at times for his struggles with the Mets after they acquired him.
However, he did slash .269/.333/.495 (.828 OPS) with 6 HR and 13 RBI over his last 30 games of the season with New York.
More from Phillies Rumors
- Phillies rumors: Club targets Seth Lugo for possible bullpen role
- Could Phillies sign 2nd former Mets starting pitcher in same offseason?
- Phillies rumor: Dansby Swanson could be club’s alternative to Trea Turner
- Rob Thomson apology hints possible Phillies blockbuster signing
- Phillies rumors: Club likely to land top shortstop on free-agent market
And after finishing the year with 33 HR and 99 RBI, while slashing .250/.309/.506 (.815 OPS), there’s no real worry for a drop off in what would be his age 30 season if he remains healthy.
But that also means the Phils might have to part with a mid level prospect to get Bruce. Someone fans may have a hard time understanding at first, but still no one to get too upset over.
As I mentioned, think of the Jeremy Hellickson situation. The Phillies very well could end up with a solid year from Bruce, and a first round pick at the end of it if things go as planned.
The logic starts to make and more and more sense, no?