The Philadelphia Phillies dropped Monday night’s contest to Arizona Diamondbacks 6-3. Zack Wheeler was serviceable in this start as he went six innings, gave up eight runs, four runs (three earned), and only three strikeouts. The Phillies committed two errors in the loss with one of those errors providing a run for Arizona. Tuesday’s probable starters are the Phillies’ Matt Strahm (4-3, 2.75 ERA) and the D-Backs’ Ryan Nelson (1-2, 5.48 ERA).
- The Phillies have had to navigate a tough road with their pitching thus far because of injuries. Their closer and presumptive fifth starter are both currently sidelined. Here’s a more detailed update on Jose Alvarado’s forearm injury and Andrew Painter’s elbow injury.
- Another slight injury update on utilityman Edmundo Sosa was released on Monday. Sosa pulled his hamstring running out a ground ball. Rob Thomson feels confident he’s ok but will take caution with such an unstable injury.
- Finally, some timely hitting from Trea Turner. Turner’s struggles this season have been well-documented. Even with that fact, Turner’s inability to hit with runners in scoring position is as mind-boggling a stat that can be found regarding a top shortstop.
- The Oakland Athletics have been in the news this MLB season for a lot of unfortunate reasons. Let’s add another to the list. The A’s have dismissed the broadcaster Glen Kuiper in his 17th season for saying a racial slur in reference to visiting the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.
- In a blast from the past moment, Cleveland Guardians outfielder Will Brennan made me connect him with legendary left-hander Randy Johnson. Brennan accidentally kills a bird due to his line-drive through the left-side of the infield.