Phillies News: Phillies To Take on the Roaring Boston Red Sox, Chase Utley Cameo, MLB News
The Philadelphia Phillies enjoyed a much-needed off day on Thursday as the team is regrouping after the three-game set in LA against the Dodgers earlier this week. The Phillies were outscored by the score of 36-7 by the Dodgers.
The club is gearing up for a three-game series against the red-hot Boston Red Sox, winners of six games straight. The starting pitching matchup for tonight’s game is between two popular names and would’ve been a much bigger deal in 2018 when Chris Sale was a legitimate ace and Zack Wheeler was on the rise. Wheeler (3-1, 3.86 ERA) and Sale (2-2, 6.75 ERA) look to prove themselves as top-notch pitchers for this season in their matchup.
More Phillies News
- The Phillies made a few roster transactions on the off day that was, full details on those here. Reliever Yunior Marte was optioned to Triple-A Lehigh Valley in favor of right-handed reliever Jeff Hoffman. Hoffman is a name worthy of knowing as he was one of Phillies that helped Bryce Harper with live pitching in his work back to the majors. Reliever Nick Nelson is also on his way to his rehab assignment for the Double-A team.
- Bryce Harper will always make headlines line in the world of Major League Baseball. This time the story that developed was Harper not having enough time to gear up while being a baserunner. The Phillies and Harper will need to figure this out to avoid smaller problems going forward to be most prepared to protect Harper’s elbow.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’s main character ‘Mac’, Rob McElhenney, is emotionally attached to legendary second baseman Chase Utley. Utley has been brought up as a running joke on Mac by the gang because of the character’s obsession with the second baseman. In 2009, Chase Utley appeared on the show and fourteen years later he’s set to make another on the longest-running, live-action American comedy series.
- The Tampa Bay Rays are the best team in baseball. That is something I have mentioned in these news article updates throughout the first month of the 2023 season. The Rays have matched the best start in MLB history since the 1984 Detroit Tigers.
- In that same game where Tampa trudged on forward to another victory, details of an umpire-pitcher exchange have made headlines. Of all people, it had to happen to former Phillie Zach Eflin which makes this story even more relevant to be placed on a Phillies blog. It just adds another reason why people don’t like umpires.