The Philadelphia Phillies entered Wednesday’s matchup against the Mariners looking to avenge their previous night’s loss. The game was exciting from the jump as both teams each had a lead in the first three innings of play. Seattle’s five-run second inning was enough to hold the game in their favor until the bottom of the eighth where the Phillies scored two runs to gain a 6-5 lead. The Phillies then sent out flamethrowing animated lefty Jose Alvarado to close the door, which he did for his fourth save of the season.
The win puts the Phillies at the record of 12-13 with a chance to get back to .500 today. The Phillies take on the Mariners at 1:05 pm ET today. Matt Strahm (1-2, 3.00 ERA) and George Kirby (2-1, 3.57 ERA) are the game’s starters.
- Some timely injury news on starter Taijuan Walker, who left his start early last night.
- In case you missed it, the Phillies made a major addition to the ball club yesterday. I’ll say that this good boy will help with the already good vibes of the Phillies clubhouse.
- Speaking of the Phillies clubhouse, the ‘Phillies Daycare’ is a large part of the personality of the team. Learn why postgame celebratory cold water dumps have broken the ice with the guys.
- Minor rehab assignment update on Nick Nelson but always to see a bullpen arm for depth is on his way back.
- Phillies hitting coach Kevin Long tells us about Bryce Harper’s Wolverine-like recovery abilities.
- We also learned about Bryce Harper, Phillies recruiter, and how Trea Turner wound up as a Phillie.
- The Phillies are going to have to decide which uniform goes away so their Nike City Connect jersey can take its place.
Don’t look now but the Arizona Diamondbacks are at the top of the NL West. That’s in large part to starter Zac Gallen, who is on another scoreless inning streak in his career.
I wrote about the Pittsburgh Pirates being one of the best teams in baseball on Monday’s piece. Now I have more good news to bring you on them and this one is a heartfelt moment about a man finally living his dream.
We’re staying with the small-market teams in today’s MLB news portion. The Tampa Bay Rays, the best team in baseball currently, will open up their upper-level seats because the Yankees are coming into town.