The Philadelphia Phillies took on the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night in Bryce Harper’s big return and season debut for the Phillies. The Dodgers laid the smack down on the Phillies in their 13-1 win.
The Phillies never led in the game and fell behind in the bottom of the first inning. The Phillies couldn’t reduce hits and accumulate hits as the pitching staff allowed 17 hits and the offense managed only two hits. Matt Strahm was very hittable in his 3-1/3 innings of work as he allowed six hits and four runs. Philadelphia had trouble with LA’s lefty starter Julio Urias as he threw seven innings of one-hit ball, allowing a run, and striking out 10.
The Phillies have the ability to limp out of Dodger Stadium and on their plane back to Philly with a win. The 4:10 pm ET game will have starting pitchers Aaron Nola (2-2, 4.46 ERA) and Gavin Stone (0-0, 0.00 ERA).
Other Phillies News
- The loss to the Dodgers is certainly one of the worst losses of the young season. No real competition to match Los Angeles’ level of play from the jump. It was so bad that the Phillies had to call on Kody Clemens to pitch, again.
- Bryce Harper’s first game back was a reason for celebration and deserved some appointment viewing from Phillies and baseball fans alike. These fans tuned into the broadcast hoping to see Harper’s aggressive and exciting play like they have so many times in games past. Only this time, Harper’s over-aggressiveness was apparent and backfired.
- The Phillies, like any other team, are not immune to the unbeatable disease that is the injury bug. Bryce Harper just returned from his left elbow injury but there are players who play a specific role that still lay placed on the injured list. Here’s a list of injury updates on Ranger Suarez, Nick Nelson, Andrew Bellatti, Cristian Pache, and Andrew Painter.
- Braves superstar outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. had a temporary injury scare on Monday. Acuna along with an English translator. Acuna has an update and insight on the hit-by-pitch situation from Monday’s game against the Mets.
- It has been a strong theme for this young season that the Tampa Bay Rays are the class of Major League Baseball. As normal as the Rays producing at an elite level is, their winning percentage along with who is a distant second to is a remarkable stat.
- Major League Baseball made rule changes to the tune of major headlines in the sports world. The purpose of the rule changes was to bring the health and speed of the game back to where there was more action. The results of the rule changes have a noticeable impact on the games.