The Phillies (62-52) have not seen the smoothest of starts to their four-game series against the Nationals (50-64). Monday's gain was postponed due to inclement weather conditions, and then they had to make do with splitting Tuesday's double-header. On the more positive side, Philadelphia holds the top wild card spot in the NL as of Wednesday morning, with a three-game advantage over those outside a playoff place. Now, it's a case of taking care of business versus their divisional rivals.
Probable starting pitchers
- Michael Lorenzen's (6-7) tenure in Philadelphia couldn't have started much better, as he recorded a win in his debut versus the Marlins. He pitched a season-high 8.0 innings, allowing just six hits, a walk and two runs, while striking out five. Perhaps the only concern -- depending on your perspective -- Lorenzen did give up 10 hard hit balls on the day. Regardless, he's a solid addition to the Phillies' rotation and takes a 3.48 ERA and 1.082 WHIP into Wednesday's start.
- Drafted third overall in 2017, MacKenzie Gore has yet to live up to his billing as a top prospect. At the same time however, he's established himself as a member of the Nationals' rotation and is second among all team pitchers with a 2.0 WAR. Gore also averages 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings, to go along with a 4.34 ERA and 1.420 WHIP. Last time out versus the Brewers saw a strong outing, as he allowed just three hits, a couple of walks and two earned runs on 6.0 innings, while striking out five.
Philadelphia Phillies starting lineup, August 9
- 1. DH Trea Turner
- 2. 3B Alec Bohm
- 3. 1B Bryce Harper
- 4. RF Nick Castellanos
- 5. C J.T. Realmuto
- 6. 2B Rodolfo Castro
- 7. LF Weston Wilson
- 8. SS Edmundo Sosa
- 9. CF Johan Rojas
Washington Nationals starting lineup, August 9
- 1. SS Riley Abrams
- 2. RF Lane Thomas
- 3. DH Joey Meneses
- 4. 1B Dominic Smith
- 5. C Keibert Ruiz
- 6. 2B Jake Alu
- 7. 3B Iledmaro Vargas
- 8. LF Blake Rutherford
- 9. CF Alex Call
What channel is the Philadelphia Phillies game on tonight?
- Game time - 6:40 p.m. ET
- NBCSP will have the Phillies broadcast.
- The Nationals broadcast will be on MASN.
How do I stream the Philadelphia Phillies game tonight?
How can I listen to the Philadelphia Phillies game tonight?
- The Phillies broadcast will be on 94 WIP and WTTM 1680.
- Nationals fans can tune into the game on WJFK 106.7.