In one respect, it's frustrating for the Phillies (61-51) that Monday night's game in Washington, D.C. was cancelled due to bad weather. And yet it was still a positive outcome, with other results around the Majors resulting in Philadelphia now having a slightly increased advantage over the chasing pack for a NL wild card spot. Now, they will play a double-header on Tuesday versus their divisional rivals, the Nationals (49-63). As much as it's been a challenging year for the hosts, it should be noted the two teams are tied 3-3 so far in the season series.
Probable starting pitchers
- While Zack Wheeler (8-5) is not on the same level as his All-Star, Cy Young candidate level of two seasons ago, he's still being efficient for the Phillies. You know we're talking about an effective pitcher, when you can call a 3.71 ERA an off-year. Wheeler is still on course for the second-best FIP and strike-rate of his nine years in the Majors, while also leading all team pitchers with a 2.5 WAR. Last time out versus the Marlins he pitched 6.0 strong innings, allowing just five hits, a walk and two earned runs.
- Things have not gone as planned for Trevor Williams (5-6) in the first season of a two-year, $13 million deal he signed with the Nationals. Making the situation tougher, he seems to be pitching worse as the season progresses. July was Williams' worst month yet, highlighted by a 5.97 ERA and 1.709 WHIP. He missed his last scheduled start due to the unfortunate situation of having to go on the bereavement list.
Philadelphia Phillies starting lineup, August 8: Game 1
- 1. DH Kyle Schwarber
- 2. 3B Alec Bohm
- 3. 1B Bryce Harper
- 4. RF Nick Castellanos
- 5. 2B Bryson Stott
- 6. C J.T. Realmuto
- 7. SS Trea Turner
- 8. LF Jake Cave
- 9. CF Johan Rojas
Washington Nationals starting lineup, August 8: Game 1
- 1. SS CJ Abrams
- 2. RF Lane Thomas
- 3. DH Joey Menese
- 4. 1B Dominic Smith
- 5. C Keibert Ruiz
- 6. 2B Jake Alu
- 7. 3B Ildemaro Vargas
- 8. LF Rutherford
- 9. CF Alex Call
What channel is the Philadelphia Phillies game on today?
- Game time - 4:05 pm ET
- NBCSP will have the Phillies broadcast.
- The Nationals broadcast will be on MASN.
How do I stream the Philadelphia Phillies game today?
How can I listen to the Philadelphia Phillies game today?
- The Phillies broadcast will be on 94 WIP and WTTM 1680.
- Nationals fans can tune into the game on WJFK 106.7.