Well, in the words of the great Ron Burgundy: "That escalated quickly". More specifically, the Phillies (67-56) exploded for eight runs in the eighth inning, to turn a nervy 3-3 game into a leisurely stroll home. With the 12-3 win, they tied the series in Washington, D.C. and maintained a promising looking hold on the top NL wild card spot. Now the Phillies will aim to win the rubber match versus the Nationals (56-68), under the glaring spotlight of Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN.
Probable starting pitchers
- Zack Wheeler (9-5) is enjoying a fine year in Philadelphia, even allowing for a 3.63 ERA being projected to be his third-highest in nine Major League seasons. He's leads all Phillies pitchers with a 3.1 WAR and 16 quality starts, while also being on course for a single-season career best 4.9 percent walkrate. He is only starting on Sunday due to Ranger Suárez having right hamstring soreness. Last time out in Toronto, Wheeler allowed just three hits and one run in 7.0 innings. although he did also give up a season-high four walks.
- It's fair to say Trevor Williams (5-7) has been having a tough time of it in 2023, with just three quality starts in 24 outings. He's recorded a 5.20 ERA, 5.93 FIP and 1.521 WHIP, while also leading the NL in home runs allowed (28). Things have been even worse for Williams of late, allowing an average of five earned runs over his previous four starts. Last time out he gave up six hits, two walks and five runs -- including three homers -- in 4.1 innings versus the lowly Athletics.
Philadelphia Phillies starting lineup, August 20
- 1. DH Kyle Schwarber
- 2. SS Trea Turner
- 3. 1B Bryce Harper
- 4. RF Nick Castellanos
- 5. 2B Bryson Stott
- 6. 3B Alec Bohm
- 7. CF Brandon Marsh
- 8. LF Jake Cave
- 9. C Garrett Stubbs
Washington Nationals starting lineup, August 20
- 1. SS CJ Abrams
- 2. CF Lane Thomas
- 3. DH Joey Meneses
- 4. C Keibert Ruiz
- 5. 1B Dominic Smith
- 6. RF Stone Garrett
- 7. 2B Jake Alu
- 8. 3B Ildemaro Vargas
- 9. LF Blake Rutherford
What channel is the Philadelphia Phillies game on tonight?
- Game time - 7:10 pm ET
- The game will be televised nationally on ESPN
How do I stream the Philadelphia Phillies game tonight?
How can I listen to the Philadelphia Phillies game tonight?
- The Phillies broadcast will be on 94 WIP and WTTM 1680.
- Nationals fans can tune into the game on WJFK 106.7.