The Phillies will open next season against the Texas Rangers on March 30, 2023.
Major League Baseball released the 2023 schedule for all 30 teams Wednesday afternoon. The Phillies will open next season on the road on March 30 opposite the Texas Rangers. As former Phillies beat writer Ryan Lawrence notes, 20 of the Phillies’ first 37 games will be against American League teams. Also, only three of their first 49 games will be against a division rival. This schedule oddity is likely due to the new league-wide scheduling format.
For the first time, every club will face each other for at least one series — a change implemented as a result of the new collective bargaining agreement. A breakdown of the new format is as follows:
- Division Games (52): The Phillies will play the Atlanta Braves, Miami Marlins, New York Mets, and Washington Nationals 13 times each instead of 19 — totaling four series instead of six. Previously, the Phillies played 76 games against National League East opponents each season.
- lntraleague Games (64): The Phillies will play 32 games home and away against all other National League teams (those not in their division). This is a slight decrease from the normal 66 such games seen in previous seasons.
- lnterleague Games (46): Increased from the 20 usual games each season against American League East teams, the Phils will play a home-and-home series against their natural rival Toronto Blue Jays (four games total), as well as 42 games against other AL teams.
This new format will ensure that every American League opponent will come to Citizens Bank Park every other year — rather than every six years under the previous format.
Some early observations:
- Almost all weeknight games are scheduled for 6:40 p.m. instead of the traditional 7:05 p.m.
- The Phils will be tested early on April 3-5, taking on the New York Yankees in the Bronx. They will not play at home until Thursday, April 6, against the Cincinnati Reds.
- The first half will conclude with a six-game road trip against the Tampa Bay Rays and Miami Marlins from July 4-9.
- Interestingly, it appears a doubleheader is scheduled from the onset on Saturday, July 15, against the San Diego Padres.
- On Sunday, August 20, the Phillies will face the Washington Nationals in Williamsport, Pennsylvania for the 2023 MLB Little League Classic. It will count as one of the Phillies’ 81 road games.
- For a second straight season, Mike Trout and the Los Angeles Angels will visit Citizens Bank Park. A three-game series is scheduled for August 28-30.
- The 2023 season will end with seven of the final 10 games coming against the rival New York Mets, with the final three games scheduled for Citi Field on September 29-30 and October 1.
The 2023 season will mark the 20th for Citizens Bank Park. It is fitting that the Phillies home opener will be against the Reds — the same team they faced on April 12, 2004, to open the venue.