2022 Philadelphia Phillies’ Grapefruit League Revised Schedule
Major League Baseball and the MLBPA have reached a new collective bargaining agreement, which means Philadelphia Phillies baseball is back.
A seemingly full offseason will be shrunk down to just days — with an underway free agency that surely will not disappoint. And starting next Friday, March 18, the Phillies’ 2022 Grapefruit League slate will get underway.
The Phillies will play a total of 19 spring games as part of their revised schedule announced early Friday evening. Nine of the games will take place at BayCare Ballpark — the Phillies’ spring training home since 2004; the first will occur on Saturday, March 19, against the Toronto Blue Jays. The Joe Girardi-led squad’s finaly of 10 away contests will come against the Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday, April 6, at Tropicana Field.
The overall revised schedule is as follows:
- Friday, March 18; at Detroit Tigers
- Saturday, March 19; vs. Toronto Blue Jays
- Sunday, March 20; at Atlanta Braves
- Monday, March 21; at New York Yankees
- Tuesday, March 22; vs. Detroit Tigers
- Wednesday, March 23; vs. Toronto Blue Jays
- Thursday, March 24; at Pittsburgh Pirates
- Friday, March 25; vs. New York Yankees
- Saturday, March 26; at Detroit Tigers
- Sunday, March 27; at Toronto Blue Jays
- Monday, March 28; vs. Baltimore Orioles
- Tuesday, March 29; Off
- Wednesday, March 30; vs. Detroit Tigers
- Thursday, March 31; vs. New York Yankees
- Friday, April 1; at Baltimore Orioles
- Saturday, April 2; at Toronto Blue Jays
- Sunday, April 3; vs. Detroit Tigers
- Monday, April 4; at New York Yankees
- Tuesday, April 5; vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
- Wednesday, April 6; at Tampa Bay Rays (Tropicana Field)
None of the 19 Phillies games are listed as split-squad, which is normally often seen in spring training schedules to allow for teams to get a look at more of their minor-league players. With less time to get ready for the 162-game season, the Phillies will likely invite fewer non-roster invitees and/or minor-leaguers to big-league camp than usual.
The Phils will not have to wait much time once they head north, as Opening Day and their coinciding home opener at Citizens Bank Park will take place Friday, April 8, opposite the Oakland Athletics. This will be the first time in franchise history that the two former city rivals will meet to kick off their seasons.
Phillies regular-season games originally scheduled between March 31 through April 6 will be rescheduled; these include the former opening series against the Houston Astros and follow-up series against the Washington Nationals.