Game Three: Giants sweep Phillies
It was another disappointing game by the Phillies this season as they were swept by the Giants for the first time since 2015.
Jake Arrieta pitched six innings of work as he struck out four batters. Arrieta also provided the offense, hitting a home run in the third inning, which would eventually be the only run the team scores in the entire series. Andrew McCutchen hit a 3-run opposite field home run to put the Giants up 5-1.
More from Phillies News
- Phillies-Mets owners’ rivalry grows after shocking Carlos Correa deal
- Could Rich Hill become ‘Jamie Moyer 2.0’ in Phillies rotation?
- Does Bailey Falter have a future in Phillies’ rotation?
- Bryce Harper’s absence should lead to Phillies lineup tinkering
- Pirates’ bizarre Vince Velasquez hype video will make Phillies fans laugh
Soon after that, Buster Posey got a home run of his own to give the Giants another insurance run.
Despite allowing five runs in one inning and being charged with his third loss of the season, Arrieta was pitching lights out.
Arrieta’s solo home run was the first run the Phillies scored in the last twenty-nine innings dating back to Thursday’s win against the Dodgers in Los Angeles.
Not only that, they’ve scored just five runs in their last five games.
The Phillies head to Wrigley Field to face the Chicago Cubs on Tuesday as the two teams open up a tthree-gameseries.