This could still be a wild-card team
Don’t give up just yet. Yes, these games looked very unconvincing but the potential is still there. If Kapler does not attempt to prove he is the smartest man in the room in game one the Phillies would be 2-1.
More from That Balls Outta Here
- Prospect Andrew Baker could help Phillies bullpen in 2023
- Bryce Harper’s absence should lead to Phillies lineup tinkering
- Phillies rumors: Club targets Seth Lugo for possible bullpen role
- Pirates’ bizarre Vince Velasquez hype video will make Phillies fans laugh
- Acquiring Brandon Marsh gave the Phillies flexibility
Every series prior to a loaded June will be crucial for this team to get above .500. This upcoming series against the Mets will be important and if they can win the series we could be looking at a 5-3 team welcoming one of the top Pitchers in baseball one week from today. The offense has looked solid and the pitching staff has been slammed with injuries. Once Arrieta, Eickhoff, Neshek and Hunter return this could be poised for a playoff push.
Yes, the season did not start well. Yes, Kapler looks unprepared. Yes, it looks like Aaron Nola and four guys who can hopefully try to eat up five innings. But don’t forget. It’s been three games. We still have 159 games to get 84-86 more wins, which could be enough for a Wild Card berth.
The season’s far from over. I still believe this will be a very good year. But if you are a completely depressed fan. Don’t forget, April 8 is coming.