The offseason continues
Even though spring training has begun, the offseason continues. The latest Phillies rumor connected them to former Cy Young winner Jake Arrieta in free agency. The two sides were reportedly talking a contract, but the two sides remain far apart on the length of the deal. Arrieta still wants something for six or seven years, but the team doesn’t want to give any more than three of four years.
More from That Balls Outta Here
- Philadelphia Phillies: Most impactful transactions in 2022
- How will Rob Thomson manage the Philadelphia Phillies bullpen in 2023?
- How Phillies’ Ranger Suárez is set to build on 2022 postseason dominance
- What can Philadelphia Phillies expect from Bryson Stott in 2023?
- 3 Reasons to get excited for Phillies’ Craig Kimbrel signing
Team owner John Middleton told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that he and the front office want to improve the team, but don’t want to hamper the future in the process:
"“I think Andy, Matt and I are completely in agreement here,” Middleton said. “We want to improve the team, we’re always trying to improve the team, but we’ve got to do it a way that makes sense now and next year. We don’t want to sacrifice something significant in the future by making a short-term move. Whether it’s a trade or a signing, if we get the deal we think is right, we’ll do it. We’ll pull the trigger. Money is zero object. No object whatsoever.”"
Middleton also said while the team is pursuing options in free agency, they are also looking via the trade market. Don’t be surprised if they make a move before spring training ends and the regular season begins.