More from Phillies History
- 11 Free-agent deals the Philadelphia Phillies wish fell through
- Philadelphia Phillies achieve franchise feat for first time since 2011
- Phillies History on August 23: Eric Bruntlett records historic triple play
- Remembering Vin Scully: Dodgers voice’s first game was against Phillies
- Phillies in hot water for inviting Pete Rose to 1980 World Series celebration
4. Jonathan Papelbon (2012-2015) Four-year $50 million
Papelbon went from being loved from the second he signed to being hated after the Phillies traded him to the Nationals. However, the few years he wore a Phillies jersey he was awesome. He was exactly what the Phillies wanted when they signed the closer. He ended up saving 123 games over 4 years which broke the record held by Jose Mesa.
The Phillies ended up not needing a closer at all because they just weren’t competitive so, they shipped him to the Nationals for Nick Pivetta.