No. 2: Right fielder J.D. Martinez
While this seems to be a long-shot, it’s possible 30-year-old right fielder J.D. Martinez could find himself playing in a Phillies uniform next season.
More from Phillies Rumors
- Phillies rumors: Club targets Seth Lugo for possible bullpen role
- Could Phillies sign 2nd former Mets starting pitcher in same offseason?
- Phillies rumor: Dansby Swanson could be club’s alternative to Trea Turner
- Rob Thomson apology hints possible Phillies blockbuster signing
- Phillies rumors: Club likely to land top shortstop on free-agent market
Martinez started out playing with the Detroit Tigers this year before being traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks where he finished out his season before coming a free agent. Martinez had a dynamic offensive season going before being traded and then took it up a notch to propel the Diamondbacks to the playoffs. In 62 games with Arizona, Martinez hit 29 home runs and drove in 65 runs to go along with a 1.107 OPS.
In February of last year, he signed a 2 year deal with the Tigers reportedly worth $18.5 million. After his stellar offensive season this year, he should make much more money this winter.
People that want Giancarlo Stanton to come to Philadelphia should be happy if Martinez signs as he boasts plenty of power and would cost much less.