NUMBER ONE: DUSTY WATHAN
44-year-old Dusty Wathan could be the next manager of the Philadelphia Phillies. Currently, he manages the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs, the Triple-A affiliate of the Phillies.
More from Phillies News
- Bryce Harper’s absence should lead to Phillies lineup tinkering
- Pirates’ bizarre Vince Velasquez hype video will make Phillies fans laugh
- Acquiring Brandon Marsh gave the Phillies flexibility
- Former Phillies starter Zach Eflin shares heartwarming goodbye message
- Is Rhys Hoskins the future at first base for the Phillies beyond 2023?
Wathan’s name has came up a ton since the announcement of the managerial change for the Phillies.
Klentak, the general manager, said they need someone that has a connection to the young group of players the Phillies currently have. Well, Wathan is probably the one.
Wathan has never managed in the big leagues before, so that will work against him in the hiring process.
However, just because he hasn’t managed in the majors means that he will be a bad manager.
There are several more candidates that could very well emerge as the search continues. This early on, it’s hard to get a good grasp on what will happen. The 2018 Phillies manager could be someone on this list or someone we have never heard of before; only time will tell.