There does not appear to be an easy answer for the Phillies to not do this offseason in regards to catching.
Instead, they will be muddling their way through the free agents, most likely, having locked up Chase Utley with money that will presumably not go to Carlos Ruiz. With their catching prospects more concussed than ever, and the free agent market including some unlikely replacements, things are about to go a little wild. Like a pitch. That a catcher might have trouble catching.
You get it.
Anyway, Ruben Amaro said yesterday that the Phillies is going to be a “very big priority” for them in the offseason. He then clarified that statement by saying he could go outside the organization, stay within it, or stick with Chooch. So that clears that about up.
- Steven Lerud: Lost out on a roster spot to Humberto Quintero.
- Tommy Joseph: Concussed so many times he is not going to be a catcher anymore.
- Sebastian Valle: Two homer game is getting further and further away, currently hitting .208.
- Cameron Rupp: Leapfrogged Valle in the system, defensive-oriented, hitting close to .300 over the past month, wouldn’t mind goin’ muddin’.
- Brian McCann
- Jose Molina
- John Buck
- Dioner Navarro (leg destroyed by Chase Utley)
- Humberto Quintero (hey!)
- Wil Nieves
- Miguel Olivo
- A.J. Pierzynski
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia
- Kelly Shoppach
- Chris Snyder
- Geovany Soto
- Yorvit Torrealba